What do I need to do for my high mileage vehicle?
Mira Mesa Automotive Answer:
San Diego motorists ask this question at Mira Mesa Automotive a lot more these days.
The median age for vehicles on CA freeways is now over 11 years. Regardless of your reason for keeping your auto around, the good news for San Diego drivers is that it’s capable of going 150,000 to 200,000 miles or more with proper care and professional automotive service at Mira Mesa Automotive.
Here are some tips from Mira Mesa Automotive on how to make your car last:
- First, San Diego motorists should follow all of their regularly scheduled maintenance routines. Things like oil changes, transmission and cooling system service are essential for avoiding pricey damage. This reduces your overall cost for keeping your auto for a long time.
- Next, regular inspections are critical for San Diego motorists. Look, those parts are starting to get old and will become worn out over the miles. Thorough inspections of various systems will uncover things that are nearing the end of their service life, like suspension, brake and steering components. Replacing worn parts early not only prevents costly breakdowns, but relieves stress on related expensive components so they will last longer as well.
- Another thing for San Diego car owners to consider is the use of special high mileage fluid formulations. For example, high mileage engine oil has special additives that condition those old seals and gaskets. It also has extra detergents to help keep that older auto engine clean inside. High mileage oil, transmission fluid, etc. cost a little more but can really head off some of the problems that are typical of older vehicles around CA.
- One last thing for San Diego car owners would be to consult with your friendly Mira Mesa Automotive tech about the overall condition of your vehicle and your driving routines. It may be advisable to follow your auto manufacturer’s severe service schedule.
- Even with the occasional unexpected repair associated with an older auto, you can still enjoy good, reliable transportation if you take good care of your ride.